Chicken on my jacket - the interview!

Here at Translations2u we thought we’d give you something different via our blog this time. Yet another year everyone is buzzing about Britain’s Got Talent so we thought we’d jump on the bandwagon! Earlier this week we were lucky enough to catch up with 23 year-old BGT contestant Rob Ross whose performance of his self-written rap “Chicken on my jacket” was immensely popular on last week’s show. (In case you missed it, here it is again.)

This is what Rob had to say.

T2U: OK, so, what do you do in your everyday life, how long have you been doing it and what are your aims?

RR: Well, I am also a dancer and I haven't been rapping for long. I’m a guy that likes to be versatile to the audience and I love to entertain. My aim is to be on stage and later on in life have my own chat show.

T2U: Following on from that, how long have you been a dancer for?

RR: Dancing since I was 16 and I was on “Move Like Michael Jackson” on BBC three in 2009.

T2U: So, why rap?

RR: I've always written comedy stuff but wanted a different approach to make a big impact.

T2U: What or who inspires you? (Other than falling bits of food ;))

RR: My main icon is Will Smith. I look up to him in a way I can relate with personality wise.

T2U: Do you think a good grasp of language is essential for you to be able to rap, write rap/comedy?

RR: Not necessarily, it all goes down to how you perform and deliver your performance. If you look at Will Smith, he wasn’t the best rapper.

T2U: But you need to be able to put your thoughts into words in a way that your intended meaning is clear, though?

RR: Of course! See there's a difference: I'm not a freestyle rapper, I write songs before I can perform them.

T2U: Would you rap in another language and, if you had to, which language would you choose?

RR: If I could I would and I probably would say either French or Spanish.

T2U: Any particular reasons?

RR: I always like new challenges and I’d learn different languages.

T2U: Fair enough :) Why BGT, then?

RR: If you only go down one path it can take a while but if you take different turnings you might get there quicker.

T2U: What was it like on there?

RR: Amazing roller-coaster of different emotions going up and down specially in front of about 3,000 people!

T2U: Your biggest ever audience?

RR: I would say yes. I went on “Take me out” as well.

T2U: OK :) And, who do you think will win Britain’s Got Talent  this year? :D

RR: I hope the Paddy lady, the dancing couple.They’re amazing and such inspiring people to talk to.

T2U: Bless her! Anything you want to add at all?

RR: Thanks for showing support and just hopefully you will see me on the screens more often :)

T2U: Let's hope so!

RR: Of course, I’m looking for chicken on my jacket fans to upload the best pic with chicken like my one [on Rob's Twitter profile here]

T2U: Thank you and loads and loads of luck. Looking forward to duck face! :D


RR: Thank you, much appreciated :). And don't mention it. Ha ha I’ll keep you posted on that!

You can also catch up with Rob via his official Facebook page.


Translations2u is the online home of Language Matters Worldwide Ltd, a professional translation company in the UK that likes to be different.

1 comment on "Chicken on my jacket - the interview!"